Advertisement

Benjamin Mendy, Manchester City defender in court on rape charges


Benjamin Mendy, Manchester City defender, has appeared in England court charged with four counts of rape and one count of sexual assault.

The 27-year-old footballer is accused of attacking three women at his home in Cheshire between October 2020 and August 2021.

Mendy only spoke to confirm his name during the 45-minute hearing before he was led back down to the cells.

He will remain in custody until early next year before his trial begin 

The French footballer will attend a new preliminary hearing in November, with the trial set to begin on 24 January, 2022.

Mendy listened to proceedings translated to him via a French interpreter that sat behind him in the dock.

The charges were not put to him and no pleas were entered during the hearing, which dealt largely with administrative matters ahead of the trial.

Eleanor Laws QC, defending Mendy, said there would be an application to dismiss the charges during the hearing in November 15.

The alleged attacks, on three different women including one under 18, are said to have happened at his £5million mansion in Prestbury, Cheshire.

Mendy was charged on August 26 with three counts of rape relating to an alleged incident in October 2020 and with the sexual assault of a woman in early January this year.

He is also charged with raping a woman last month.

The Premier League star was refused bail and is currently on remand at HMP Altcourse in Liverpool.
The France international has played for Manchester City since 2017, when he joined from Monaco for a reported £52m.

He was suspended by the club after being charged by police, pending an investigation.

Subscribe to TMZ Naija

To receive alert from TMZ Naija, Adverts Placement, Stories & more, Contact via Whatsapp: 07032803990, email [email protected]

No comments: