Buhari’s driver dies in Aso Rock Clinic 'days after he was detained for tricking the President to sign fraudulent multi-million Naira document'

Saidu Afaka, the official driver of President Muhammadu Buhari, died on Tuesday, April 6, 2021.

According to a statement by Garba Shehu, presidential spokesman, Afaka  died at the State House Clinic after a prolonged illness.

His death was announced while President Buhari is on medical vacation in London, United Kingdom.

In the statement, Shehu had described the late Afaka, who was a Master Warrant Officer in the Nigerian Army, as "an honest, capable and reliable person who handled his job with utmost care and responsibility."

He said the late soldier had in 2016 while on pilgrimage in Saudi Arabia, picked up a bag containing a large amount of foreign currencies and turned it over to the National Hajj Commission.

But according to a report by SaharaReporters, Ofaka who hails from Kaduna state, was recently detained by the Department of State Services (DSS) after he tricked President Buhari to sign a fraudulent document to make millions of naira.

The late driver was said to have capitalised on Buhari dementia to trick him to sign the fraudulent document.

According to the report, the whole affair was hushed up by the Presidency, which did not want another scandal in the press. 

"The fraud was perpetrated some weeks ago but it was kind of hushed up so that it would not leak to the press," SR quoted a source as saying. 

The report said that the President who has been showing some symptoms of forgetfulness, limited social skills and impaired thinking abilities do no longer go through the rigours of reading reports or properly vetting documents as required of his office. 

The report said that the President's former Aide De Camp, who recently left, reported the deal to the DSS as he was not carried along in the deal. 

"The driver made the President to sign a fraudulent document. The man is the main driver of the President. He got the President to sign a document from which he made millions of naira, capitalising on Buhari’s dementia. 

"He was subsequently arrested by the DSS and detained for several days. The ADC to the President who recently left reported the deal to the DSS after finding out that he was sidestepped in the deal," the source added. 

This is not the first time a scandal such as this would be experienced in Aso Villa. 

A similar scandal was experienced in Aso Villa in 2018 when the First Lady, Aisha Buhari ensured the arrest of her Aide De Camp, whom she accused of defrauding her.

She had alleged that Sani Baba-Inna, a chief superintendent of police, received huge donations to the tune of N2.5 billion from politicians and business people on her behalf and then kept the cash to himself.

Following her allegation, the then Inspector-General of Police, Ibrahim Idris, ordered the arrest of Baba-Inna and compelled him to return the money. 

Eventually, the police could not establish that Baba-Inna committed the crime and an angry Aisha asked the DSS to take over the case, believing the police authorities were trying to protect one of their own.

Subscribe to TMZ Naija

To receive alert from TMZ Naija, Adverts Placement, Stories & more, Contact via Whatsapp: 07032803990, email tmznaija@gmail.com

No comments: