How DSS rescued sports minister when '#EndSARS protesters' broke into Oba's palace in Ogbomosho


Minister of Youth and Sports Development, Sunday Dare, escaped being beaten by angry mob when some suspected #EndSARS protesters stormed the palace of Soun of Ogbomoso, Oba Oladunni Oyewumi, on Sunday.

Jimoh Isiaq, a young protester was killed on Saturday during the demonstration against brutality and extra- judicial killings by Nigerian police.

Protesters who stormed the palacee were said to have demanded explanation from the traditional ruler on why he failed to condemn the fatal shooting of JimohI by the police.

Twitter users had said police opened fire on the protesters who converged on the palace over the killing which led to angry youths storming the palace.

"Ogbomosho is at War!! The Police murdered a resident at yesterday’s protest and still in denial of murder. In pains, residents matched to the palace to protest. 2secs, Naso palace scatter. Even chief chop stone for Head. Ogbomosho is not safe right now!! #ENDSARS, ” a Twitter user wrote.

However, the sport minister who was in the palace claimed the angry youths who stormed the place were not protesters.

The minister, who hails from the Oyo town, said he was in a meeting with the traditional ruler and some chiefs when aggrieved youth invaded the palace.

Dare said from the way the “intruders” behaved, it was clear that they were not part of the #EndSARS protest which started late last week.

The minister lamented that the “hoodlums” destroyed properties in the palace.

He tweeted, “Ogbomoso- Hoodlums, thugs and miscreants disrupt stakeholders meeting in Soun’s palace now -invading, stoning and breaking doors, glasses. Soun, myself, and council chiefs were scurried into safety by the police and Department of State Services.

“The hoodlums broke into the palace and destroyed chairs, overturned tables, broke windows. These were not youth or Students. These were miscreants and thugs who saw a window of opportunity in the protest which (was) since abated. Thankfully, Soun, the chiefs, leaders of Parapo are safe.”

The minister wondered why the Soun’s palace was attacked, saying that peace had been restored.

Dare added, “Ogbomoso youths are law-abiding. But hoodlums have taken over. A combined team of operation Burst from Ibadan and a unit from Iliorin are now on ground in Ogbomoso to help keep the peace, protect the peaceful and innocent and also stop criminal elements. Soun of Ogbomosho yesterday and today personally appealed to this group to stop the violence.”
Some witnesses said four persons who sustained gunshot injuries were being treated at Bowen University Teaching Hospital.

See photos of inside the palace after protesters visited it.




No comments: