Advertisement

Iran's military confirms attacks on US base in Irag in retaliation for killing of Soleimani

The Iranian Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) has claimed responsibility for the missile attack against United States forces in Irag.

Two US military base, the Al Asad and Erbil bases were attacked early morning Wednesday in retaliation for the killing of Iranian military commander, Qassem Soleimani, on Friday.




The IRGC said in a statement that the missile attacks is part of an operation named "Martyr Soleimani". The IRGC statement claimed that dozens of missiles had been fired at al-Assad airbase.

It also said that any country housing US troops could be subject to "hostile and aggressive acts".

"To the Great Satan (a reference to the US) ... we warn that if you repeat your wickedness or take any additional movements or make additional aggression, we will respond with more painful and crushing responses," the statement read. 

Iranian news media reported the attacks hours after the remains Suleimani were returned to his hometown in Iran for burial.

Hossein Soleimani, the editor in chief of Mashregh, the main Revolutionary Guards news website, said that more than 30 ballistic missiles had been fired at the American base at Al Asad, in Anbar Province, in western Iraq.

An American base in Erbil, in northern Iraq, was also attacked.

President Trump visited American military forces at Al Asad in December 2018, making his first trip to troops stationed in a combat zone.

Iranian officials said the attacks began at 1:20 a.m., the time that General Suleimani was killed by an American drone at the Baghdad airport on Friday.

American military officials said that Iran had launched more than a dozen ballistic missiles against United States military and coalition forces.

The initial US report did not say whether there were any casualties or major damage at either base. “We are working on initial battle damage assessments,” the Pentagon statement said.

The White House said in a statement that it was “aware” of attacks on American facilities in Iraq. “The president has been briefed and is monitoring the situation closely and consulting with his national security team,” the statement said.

President Trump visited American military forces at Al Asad in December 2018, making his first trip to troops stationed in a combat zone.

A US military official confirmed to Fox News that US forces were being targeted by rocket attacks. A senior US military source in Iraq told Fox that US soldiers were being targeted by either cruise missiles or short range ballistic missiles being fired from Iranian territory at multiple US bases and targets throughout Iraq, tweeted Jennifer Griffin, a Fox News correspondent.

On Sunday, Trump said that the US would strike back without hesitation if one of its bases was hit. "We are the biggest and by far the BEST in the World! If Iran attacks an American Base, or any American, we will be sending some of that brand new beautiful equipment their way...and without hesitation," the president tweeted.




Subscribe to TMZ Naija
To receive alert from TMZ Naija, Adverts Placement, News, Articles & more, Contact via Whatsapp: 07032803990, email [email protected]


 

No comments: